Friday, February 06, 2009

Favorite Love Songs: Tuning Up for Valentine's Day

As it’s coming up on Valentine’s Day, that has me thinking about love songs. My favorite ones include






from Kathy Mattea
Goin' Gone

Untold Stories
Asking Us to Dance


from Cathie Ryan
The Farthest Wave

What's Closest to the Heart

from Carrie Newcomer
Tornado Alley

Only One Shoe

Hold On

From Tish Hinojosa
Amanacer
Everything You Wish

from Eddi Reader
Wild Mountainside


from Danu
Follow On

from Emmylou Harris
Someone Like You

from Maura O’Connell
Blessing



What they have in common, I think, is recognition that deep true love includes the hard stuff as well as the joy, and that part of the gift of love is helping us live with and through the humanness of all that. I’m not sure the artists who wrote or who sing all of these necessarily thought of them as love songs, either, but for me they work that way. See what you think, and please share some of your favorites by leaving a comment if you’d like.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Hold On a lot. Hadn't heard of her. Thanks for the tip!

- Sabatini

10:26 AM  
Blogger About the book said...

I look forward to listening to all these recommendations. Valentine's Day is not my favorite holiday (it's so Hallmark-y and shouldn't we show the people we love that we love them every day?!) but I enjoy discovering new music!

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite love song is probably I Could Not Ask for More by Edwin McCain.

I say probably because I change my mind on my favorite song in any category three times a day.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Kerry Dexter said...

Sabatini,
glad you liked Hold On. Carrie Newcomer is a very fine writer -- you might want to check out her website or search her name here at Music Road. I've written about her work a good bit.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Kerry Dexter said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Kerry Dexter said...

Julie,
you'll notice I mentioned more than one song... be interested to hear more of yours. and did you ever check out Gretchen Peters' Northern Lights album?

1:33 PM  
Blogger Kerry Dexter said...

Melissa and James,
I quite agree about telling people you love them every day, and thanks for the reminder -- maybe that's what Valentine's Day is too, a reminder of that.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home