Monday, March 12, 2012

Concerts, Conversations, and Travel: Ireland

As Saint Patrick’s Day approaches, here is a look back at several favourite conversations with Irish musicians, stories about travel in Ireland, and reports of concerts of Irish music. Most are from here along the Music Road, along with several from other places. Follow the links to enjoy good reading and great music -- with, of course, more of both to come.


conversations with Irish artists
Cathie Ryan talks about teaching tradition
Mary Black shares her reflections on her career and song choices
Michael Black talks about music, family, and friends
Heidi Talbot talks about learning music growing up in Kildare, and about creating her latest album, sharing songs and stories [at Wandering Educators]

session at pjs ireland louth copyright kerry dexter


travel in Ireland, north and south. photo essays too
Ceol Chairlinn: sharing music in winter a quieter side of the Irish year
Irish music, Irish landscape and why not all Irish songs are drinking songs

an encounter with the not so distant past in Newry: Meeting the Past in Northern Ireland [at Perceptive Travel]
history, memory, museums, and the Reminiscence Project in Northern Ireland:
Holding Memory in Your Hands [at Perceptive Travel]
reflections on Belfast Unrest and Travel in Northern Ireland [at Perceptive Travel]
Traditional Irish musicians honored at Gradam Ceoil [at Irish Fireside]

two favourite stories about concerts

at Club Passim in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA Another Fine Winter's Night with Matt and Shannon Heaton
from City Halls in Glasgow, Scotland T with the Maggies and the music of Donegal

photograph of a Sunday afternoon session in Louth, Ireland, is by Kerry Dexter and is copyrighted. thank you for respecting that.

Ahead, in honor of Saint Patrick I’ll gather up for you stories of my favorite recordings of Irish music -- this is now available at Music Road: learning about Irish music: a bouquet of albums for spring. Who are your favourite Irish musicians, and what are your favourite places in Ireland? If you like, let us know in the comments.

-->Your support for Music Road is welcome and needed. If you are able to chip in, here is a way to do that, through PayPal. Note that you do not have to have a PayPal account to do this. Thank you.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

9 Comments:

Anonymous wandering educators said...

Love this - all this great music, and a perfect time for listening. thank you!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Anjuli said...

I always love these 'looking back' at posts- because it helps me know what I may or may not have missed.

As for a favorite place in Ireland- I lived in Scotland but I never got to visit Ireland. It always looks sooo green in pics- and of course, I just LOVE the music. (no specific singer or group or song- but in general)

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Jane Boursaw said...

Love St. Patrick's Day - and Irish music. That's cool that you've talked to so many musicians - and on their home turf, too.

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Alexandra said...

Such a good idea to do a retrospective like this from time to time, especially with St. Pat's Day this week. They were already celebrating along Route 128 in Dennis, MA last weekend. Must have held the parade Saturday, then everyone went out to eat!

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Living Large said...

I want to visit Ireland so bad. Every time I visit your blog I feel I get to do just that!

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart said...

I'm so jealous of your travels and the many lovely people you get to meet.

11:45 AM  
Blogger jcreaturetravel said...

I've always loved Irish music, even before I bicycled the entire west coast. I always love building up my Irish music collection, thanks to your blog.

1:54 AM  
Blogger MyKidsEatSquid said...

I was thinking about your blog a couple days ago. I was listening to Adele and if you hear some of her album songs the tones she has are so similar to Kathy Mattea--the low resonance of her voice, particularly the song Turning Tables. I was curious if you might think the same?

10:19 AM  
Blogger Kerry Dexter said...

MKES,
I've only heard Addele briefly -- most recently as part of the music they were playing on a flight to Ireland, in fact -- but based on that, I think you are right.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home