Thursday, September 17, 2009

Remembering Mary Travers




In the Wind


There will be many remembrances of Mary Travers today -- and probably an equal number who say: who’s that, again? She was a singer of power, and amazing stage presence, and a woman committed to social justice all her life. Through the 1960s, Peter, Paul , and Mary were the most popular folk group in the United States. In later years some would ridicule their music for being too commercial. Whatever you may think about that, they opened doors for many writers and singers who came along with them.



If you look back at what the trio recorded in the sixties, you’ll find the work of the really great writers -- Bob Dylan, Gordon Lightfoot, Ian Tyson, Tom Paxton -- you’ll find funny stuff like The Marvelous Toy and I Dig Rock n Roll Music, gospel songs, Irish songs [The Rising of the Moon and Gilgarry Mountain for two] and always, always songs of peace, social justice, and connection. One of their great gifts was inviting people to sing along -- and getting us still, through the legacy of their recordings, to sing along to songs of truth, justice, peace, and hope.

Thanks for the grace, the courage and the music, Mary. Your ship has come in.







you may also want to see

Music Road: Ian Tyson: Yellowhead to Yellowstone

Music Road: The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem at Carnegie Hall

-->Your support for Music Road is welcome and needed. If you are able to chip in, here is a way to do that, through PayPal. Note that you do not have to have a PayPal account to do this. Thank you.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

4 Comments:

Anonymous MarthaandMe said...

I was so sad when I saw this in the paper this morning. I loved Peter Paul and Mary. It is not officially Christmas here until we play their Christmas concert CD.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Amy said...

I love their music. I offer my prayers and condolences to the family.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this beautiful tribute. She seems like a lovely person as well as singer.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Alexandra Grabbe said...

One of the first concerts I ever attended was Peter, Paul, and Mary, outside Washington, DC. Her singing was etherial, better in person even than on the record. I felt so fortunate to be there.

I don't know how many times I listened to "Leaving on a Jet Plane," and I used to sing "Puff" to my children.

Mary Travers will be missed!

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home