Monday, March 26, 2012

Music, silence, and spiritual journey

Music and silence connect and intertwine and frame each other. They nurture each other, if you will.

I often find in my own creative practice that music is a doorway in to silence, that sort of interior silence which is both a spiritual discipline and a seedbed of creation.

Giving or receiving music, playing listening, that’s often true. I’ve a friend who when going though hard stuff in her life remarked that the only time she felt really clear and at peace was when she was on stage doing her music. Indeed, the music and the silence which goes along with it may be both a doorway and a home.

Musician Carrie Newcomer, whose work you may have met if you’ve walked here along the music road before, offers ideas on songwriting, spiritual practice, and why she goes to silent meeting for worship in this short video. Well worth your time.





you may also wish to see
Music Road: India to Indiana: Everything Is Everywhere from Carrie Newcomer
Music Road: Music of Ireland: Songs of the Scribe
Music Road: silence and music: Ireland
Music Road: rest in music
Music Road: Music, harvest, and time

-->Your support for Music Road is welcome and needed. If you are able to chip in, here is a way to do that, through PayPal. Note that you do not have to have a PayPal account to do this. Thank you.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

9 Comments:

Anonymous Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart said...

I know for sure I was born to love dogs. I'm so happy to see her walking in the woods with her canine companion.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Alexandra said...

I really enjoyed this video. Thanks for posting. Nature opens the door to spirituality, doesn't it. What a shame that we humans trash the environment.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Heather L said...

Her music is very soothing. I really relate to her take on quiet. I feel the same way.

12:55 PM  
Blogger MyKidsEatSquid said...

As a teen when I'd get overwhelmed I'd sit at the piano and just play. Nothing very pretty but I'd just make up songs and it was soothing

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Alisa Bowman said...

There is a flow state with music. I remember that from when I used to play various instruments. I wish I'd never given it all up. I can't even read music anymore. It's weird what the brain forgets. Still, totally with you on this one.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Jane Boursaw said...

I still play my violin in church every Sunday (in the "band"), and it's a great creative outlet. Keeps my chops up, too.

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Living Large said...

There is something very soothing about walking through nature. I like to walk through the woods with my own dogs.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous merr said...

I love that video. Her voice is beautiful, too. Thanks so much.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Brette said...

The interrelation of music and silence is really interesting. Silence can be such an integral part of a song.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home