Friday, April 30, 2010

music and time



Time slows down when you practice being present is one of the many ideas which Krista Tippett, host of the radio program Speaking of Faith, and Michel Martin, who reports on religion for NPR, spoke about in this conversation, recorded recently in Washington, DC.

They were speaking primarily in the context of science and scientists, as that's the main focus of Tippett's latest book Einstein's God: Conversations About Science and the Human Spirit.



I was listening. however, in the context of the arts. I have known more than one musician to say that the time of being on stage is like that for them, a time of clarity and connection, when time slows down whether they are thinking about happening or not. Other aspects of the creative process have that effect as well, I find. What do you think?

Lots of thought provoking ideas for creative practice in that conversation between Tippett and Martin; it'll likely come up for discussion again here. If you're thinking of going to check it out, you might want to know that it lasts for about an hour and half.

Speaking of slowing down time... the singer in stone is at Saint Catherine's Church in Newry, County Down, Northern Ireland. A place worth checking out too.

you may also wish to see

Music Road: Carrie Newcomer: Before & After
Music Road: sean nos, days of awe, and tradition
a selection of songwriter cds I recommend

Delicious Baby's Photo Friday, where each Friday photographers share insights about the world

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

5 Comments:

Blogger Anjuli said...

I was just thinking about the whole "time" thing yesterday. It was interesting how you put it in the context of a musician or artist- where when they get on stage it is like time slows down. It does seem strange that time can feel as though it is speeding up or slowing down...the hours before my granddaughter was born- the time just went by like a snail- the days after she was born and before I had to fly away- time zipped by with me attempting to grasp onto it and make it slow down.

I will definitely go and check out the link when I have more time :)

5:16 AM  
Anonymous v said...

I'm going to have to think about this post for a while. That's what I like about Music Road it makes me stop and think as well as stop and listen.
By the way, why do you call the stone statue a singer??

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Vera Marie Badertscher said...

Did it again, pushed enter before I got my signature in.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Kerry Dexter said...

vera,
it may not be quite so apparent in the photograph as it was in person, but look closely -- she's singing.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will plan to listen to this when I can set aside the time for it. It always seems to me that when I am very involved in working on a project that time speeds up. I'll look up and realize I've been working for hours without knowing it.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home