Friday, July 15, 2011

Seven Stories

Recently I was invited to take part in Seven Links, an initiative started by TripBase with the idea of highlighting posts in seven quite varied categories, articles that perhaps newer readers may have missed and regular visitors might be interested to be reminded about
.
Wandering Educators and A Traveler’s Library both nominated me to take part. I encourage you to see their seven links posts and learn about their sites

Here are my stories. I hope you enjoy hearing them for the first time, or revisiting them. Your comments, of course, are most welcome


*most popular
this rather short essay with words and photographs shows a bit about what I think of Irish music and the island of Ireland, beyond the stereotypes. it’s been up for years and still draws in buckets of readers -- if you haven’t read it in a while (or ever) maybe it’s time
Irish music, Irish landscape

*most beautiful
photographing musicians at work helps me think about music, and is an art on its own.emily smith galsgow 2011 copyright kerry dexter you’ll find many posts on photographing music along the Music Road.

here’s is one of my favorites of those Celtic Connections 2011: images, part two

and this is one about a concert where words and image came together especially well, I think Another Fine Winter's Night: Matt & Shannon Heaton

*most helpful
through five years of writing here, I’ve done more than a few practical guides and lists, which people always enjoy. I chose this, one, however, because it helps you think about an important aspect of life and music from a different angle -- another thing I write about often.
rest in music


*most controversial
the bodhran can be a controversial instrument. here’s a story...
bodhran

and then there was
a choice (not having to do with bodhrans) I made during the US presidential campaign debates
listening through the changes

*a post which didn’t get the attention I felt it deserved
energy, heart, creativity, history, joy: you may not understand the languages in which they sing but you will understand all that nonetheless all that from their music
Dual: Julie Fowlis & Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh

*a surprising success
Indiana based Americana songwriter Carrie Newcomer often makes her points quietly. I am glad this helped quite a few hear her.
Carrie Newcomer: Before & After

*a post I am especially proud of
listen to this music, which, if I’ve done my part right, is what you will want to do. perhaps you will hear a bit of it through my words
Cathie Ryan: The Farthest Wave


Part of this process is to pass the idea along by nominating others to join in, and encouraging you to go read their work. Whether they decide to choose their own seven links or not, these people write articles worth reading

Sue Dickman writes about India, books, blueberry pies, and other things at A Life Divided
Jackie Dishner takes you on adventures geographical and thoughtful at Bike with Jackie
Shannon Heaton writes with grace and humor about being a musician and learning to be a new mother at Leap Little Frog
Sarah Henry brings Bay Area perspective with an Australian twist to her stories about good food and the people who care about it at Lettuce Eat Kale

-->If you'd like to support my creative work at Music Road and elsewhere,
here is a way to do that, through PayPal. Note that you do not have to have a PayPal account to do this.Thank you.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

16 Comments:

Anonymous wandering educators said...

i love this list - thank you! you're such an amazing writer, and have shared so much with us. thank you!

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Living Large said...

What great picks! I love Ireland and hope I can visit one day!

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Alexandra said...

Great list! I remember many of these posts. Okay, off to check out the others you recommend.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Sheryl said...

What a terrific way to share not only your own but the work of other writers. Thanks for all the material

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Melanie @ Frugal Kiwi said...

Great list. LOVED the Rest post. I don't know what I was expecting, but it hit me out of the blue-in a wonderful way.

Any one who wants more 7 links is welcome to mosey over to my Down Under list posted fresh today!

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Casey@Good. Food. Stories. said...

Your "most helpful" post on rests in music remains one of my favorite Music Road posts - love the metaphor!

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Jane Boursaw said...

Wonderful list. I bet it'd be really amazing to photograph singers in the midst of singing...

11:05 PM  
Blogger MyKidsEatSquid said...

Interesting. I'm looking up more on the bodran right now.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Anjuli said...

You've done a marvelous job with your picks- I'm glad you highlighted on some of them, because they were posts I had not read before- others which you highlighted I had read and now I will reread!!

GREAT job!!

4:09 AM  
Anonymous The Writer's [Inner] Journey said...

I'm enjoying these 7 links around the web from blogs I like a lot - yours most definitely one of them.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Kris @ Attainable Sustainable said...

Your Dual post is right on. I live in Hawaii where we hear music in English, Hawaiian, Tahitian, Maori, and more. I *love this. I don't always know what each word means, but usually the meaning of the song comes through despite the language barrier.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Susan Johnston Taylor said...

Must have been fun to reminisce about earlier posts. Great list!

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Melanie Haiken said...

It was great to read this and reconnect with some old friends (posts) and discover new ones. I was also nominated by Donna and have yet to do my seven posts, and this was a good example of how to approach it. Thanks!

11:34 PM  
Anonymous sarah henry said...

Kerry,

Love the Seven Stories idea, which I've just stumbled across and enjoyed reading your list (you've introduced me to so many musical adventures).

And then I was delighted to stumble upon my own blog in your list of recommendations.

Thank you so much, that's so thoughtful of you. I'm late to the table but will turn my own "sevens" post -- and perhaps play some Irish music while I do so in your honor.

Care to recommend something to listen to while I write?

Again, big thanks for your kindness.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Kerry Dexter said...

Sarah,
thanks for the kind words. I hope you enjoy doing your sevens list.

as for a music recommendation, I mention Cathie Ryan's album The Farthest Wave, above --give it a listen.

6:11 AM  
Blogger jcreaturetravel said...

I love this 7 Links post -- I participated as well. And I like your picks. I had read a few of these before but it's good to revisit these and connect with the ones I'd missed.

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home