Saturday, February 08, 2014

music of love

Love is the substance of all music, when you stop to think about it. Songs of love gone wrong and gone right in all sorts of ways, love for land, home, country, family, children, friends, love of tradition and family that keeps the music going on, and music that may not speak directly of these things but is brought into being by them. As I write this it is a time of year when love is celebrated especially. Here’s music to go along with celebrating all these sorts of love.

Romantic love is the substance of Someone Like You, sung by award winning country, folk, and Americana artist Emmylou Harris. A few of my favorite lines are
I never wasted a minute of my time
Every road I ever took led me to your side

Robert Burns, Scotland’s bard, wrote of aspects of love from romantic to bawdy to friendship. John Anderson My Jo finds the poet considering love that lasts across the years. Fellow Scot Eddi Reader does a fine and thoughtful job with it

Love between parents and children is the subject of December Child from Gretchen Peters and Mo Níon Ó from Cathie Ryan

Celebration of the many gifts of friendship is what Carrie Newcomer considers in The Gathering of Spirits
there’s a gathering of spirits
there’s a festival of friends
and we’ll take up where we left off
when we all meet again

Sharing love for land and home place is well told in At the Heart of It All from Capercaillie.
At the heart of it all
Is a calling to this land...

At times, love is shown with no words at at all. Molly Mason’s composition The Snowstorm is music of that sort I especially commend to you.

Blessing is a deep form of love, and so I will draw this to a close by suggesting that you take a listen to Cathie Ryan’s choice of a song of blessing, May the Road Rise to Meet You

Each of these artists well knows how to write and to interpret all sorts of love songs, so I commend to you the albums on which this music appears, and their other works, as well. At this season of love, also, I wish you love, joy, and peace -- and great music..

Did you notice the heart in the photograph? I saw it in the reflection whilst at a gig at the Piping Centre in Glasgow, Scotland. This photograph is copyrighted, and I thank you for respecting this.

you may also wish to see
music and mystery
Cathie Ryan: Through Wind and Rain

-->If you'd like to support my creative work,
here is a way to do that, through PayPal. Note that you do not have to have a PayPal account to do this.Thank you.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

6 Comments:

Anonymous merr said...

Perfect timing for Valentine's day - or any day, I suppose.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Roxanne said...

Terrific photo. The guitar in the bottom video sort of looks like a heart too.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Brette @ PuttingItAllontheTable said...

I thought the same thing about the guitar too. Wonderful music for this holiday. THanks for sharing.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Jane Louise Boursaw said...

LOVEly post for Valentine's Month.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Alexandra said...

Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy listening to your recommendations.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous HeatherL said...

Although this post was timed for Valentine's Day, I think music and love should be celebrated all year long.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home