Monday, August 17, 2009

Creative practice: listening


The band Better Than Ezra is coming out with a single called Just One More Day, arising from band members’ times of losing loved ones and wishing for more time to say things to them.

Though I've not yet heard the song, I tend to look in a different direction. In such a circumstance, I’d rather listen. Sometimes, I’ve been granted the grace to do so.

Some of both, I suppose, might be a good answer. What do you think?

music to go along with these ideas
Music Road: creative practice: healing

Music Road: creative practice: winter thoughts

Music Road: listening through the changes

-->If you'd like to support my creative work,
here is a way to do that, through PayPal. Note that you do not have to have a PayPal account to do this.Thank you.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

4 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Kerry,
I agree so much with you. My mother passed away from cancer almost ten years ago, but I'm so grateful to know that I spent much of the last months of her life sitting with her and listening to her just "remember" - stories from my childhood and hers, and so much more.On the other hand, I hope I said what she needed for me to say, but I think she just really needed a listener more than anything.I'm blessed that it was me.
Cindy

1:29 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Kerry, this is lovely. Often I focus on what I want to say... but, really, I already have constant access to my own thoughts. So when there is an opportunity to hear others--at the end of their lives OR even in the peak of vibrant health--why not listen and receive?

11:48 AM  
Blogger Kerry Dexter said...

Cindy,
being heard is important. I know your mother felt that gift through both your listening and what you said to her. Thanks for sharing your story.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Kerry Dexter said...

Shannon,
you're so right. being heard -- and learning how to listen and be open -- is vital at all points in life. I've always found you to be really good at listening, by the way. to me and others.

here's a conundrum to me -- how does one listen/express listening through email/social networking/etc?

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home