Friday, October 09, 2009

Photographing music: Celtic Colours

The music of Cape Breton is a unique mix of Scottish and Irish music with dashes of other cultures added in, shaped by wind and water, landscape, and mountains, seasoned with the laughter, tears, history, and welcoming spirits of the islanders. It’s engaging music, wherever you happen to hear it, especially so the island itself. The Celtic Colours Festival includes more than one hundred events in venues ranging from The Big Fiddle concert hall in Sydney [okay, it has a more formal name, but once you’ve seen the giant sized fiddle out front...] to the firehouse in Judique, from school rooms to churches, from one end of the island to the other, and this year's festival begins today. Artists from all over the Celtic world as well as many Cape Breton musicians will be there. I’ll not be making it back to the island for the festival this year, but these are a few of my favorite images from years past.

-->Your support for Music Road is welcome and needed. If you are able to chip in, here is a way to do that, through PayPal. Note that you do not have to have a PayPal account to do this. Thank you. photographs taken in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, copyright Kerry Dexter you may also want to see Music Road: thinking about Cape Breton: music and landscape Music Road: Celtic Colours 2009 on the way Music Road: now playing: Cape Breton Radio Live take 02 other photo blogs at Delicious Baby's Photo Friday

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

5 Comments:

Anonymous Glennia said...

I've been to Nova Scotia, but didn't make it to Cape Breton. Sounds like some wonderful music coming from there. I'll have to check it out!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Angela K. Nickerson said...

I just love places where music and travel come together naturally. I've never been to Nova Scotia, but it is on my list. I'll certainly remember Cape Breton. Ciao!

4:13 PM  
Blogger debbie koenig said...

I've been wanting to head up there for a long time, but still haven't made it. This only makes me want to go more. Sigh.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Dominique said...

We've only spent a few days in Nova Scotia (most notably years ago for a weekend in Halifax during a trip out to PEI), but it's somewhere we've really wanted to return to someday. We've always managed to get a bit of Celtic music (loading up on CDs or catching a live concert) when we've been out to the Maritimes. We're overdue at this point!
Thanks for a peek at what sounds like a great fest!

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been there, but my parents went and enjoyed it very much. My dad bought some CDs I've listened too and they're great.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home