Thursday, March 17, 2011

music and mystery

scotland in mist copyright kerry dexter
Does music matter in times like these?

Yes.
That’s a good part of the reason I started writing Music Road, and a good part of the reason I began walking the music road myself long years back. Music is a connector, a conversation, a way of thinking about the world, a source of inspiration and imagination, and of healing. It is also a way to think about the questions of life. It is a way to live the questions. It is a way to live in the mysteries.

If thinking about music this way is unfamiliar to you, I encourage you to look around through the nearly five years worth of posts here at Music Road, to read about the musicians and ideas I introduce you to, and to listen to the music. Take your time with all of that. You’re very welcome.

If you are concerned about this hurting world at this moment, I’d encourage you to visit the web sites of the Red Cross and the Mercy Corps. Their people -- and those of many other fine groups -- are doing work of healing across the world and quite likely not that far from you, as well.

Music to go along with these ideas, and to get you started on your explorations

Music Road: Carrie Newcomer: Before & After
Music Road: Cathie Ryan: Songwriter
Music Road: music and hope: Derry
Music Road: Road Trip Music in Mississippi
Music Road: Julie Fowlis:Uam

-->If you'd like to support my creative work at Music Road,
here is a way to do that, through PayPal. Note that you do not have to have a PayPal account to do this. Thank you.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

3 Comments:

Blogger Anjuli said...

What a great post!! You are so right about music- I know it has helped me in the worst of times and accompanied me to better enjoy the best of times.

I have found the true musicians write from their heart and their experiences- they are working through good or bad times- and they digest them and produce the songs and melodies we hear-- no wonder these are therapeutic both for the musicians as well as the listeners.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Sailor said...

Beautiful Post!

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Casey@Good. Food. Stories. said...

Yes indeed! I'm at my most creative and contemplative when there's music in the background, seeping into my unconscious.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home