Tuesday, December 01, 2009

First week in advent


Advent is a season which honors both moving into the uncertain and connection with the well known and well loved. The work of winter requires both reaching out and staying solitary. All of that is part of creative practice through the seasons, of course, but the four weeks of Advent and the holiday spirit at this time of year point those aspects up.

A time for reflection, a time for hope, a time for holding on and getting through -- and a time for celebration and connection. And contrasts.

music to go along with these ideas

especially look into The Farthest Wave and Lovers’ Well in this one
Music Road: holiday gift list: Irish music

Music Road: Voices: Carrie Newcomer: faith and laughter

Music Road: Matt & Shannon Heaton: Fine Winter's Night

-->Your support for Music Road is welcome and needed. If you are able to chip in, here is a way to do that, through PayPal. Note that you do not have to have a PayPal account to do this. Thank you.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

As a child, I never experienced advent. I went to church by myself, and it was mostly to Pentacostal-types because that was the bus that drove into my neighborhood. I mostly went to Sunday School. We didn't discuss religion or faith or church at home, that I recall. So, as an adult, I never fully understood what advent meant--even after joining the Lutheran church. It's not a part of my thought-process, or really my vocabulary. But I like how you've explained it here. I'm going to read this again and meditate on it--maybe play some of that Irish music. I think I'd like that.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Alexandra Grabbe said...

Thanks for these suggestions. Advent always makes me think of the way Sweden celebrates with candles, ie. light.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home