Friday, May 14, 2010

music and community

Music creates and celebrates community.

This is as true on stage as off, I think, and sometimes true across miles and distance.

I remember turning the radio dial as a kid to bring in the faint signals of the Grand Ole Opry broadcasts, and stations from Quebec, and Mexico, and other parts of the world. Today through internet radio I listen to music from Glasgow and Dublin and Belfast and the Highlands. There is a certain community in that -- one only has to think of all the social media going on to know that is true. Finding an unexpected community of interests is a good surprise -- great on line, better, even, in person. Musician Shannon Heaton (she's the woman in the photograph at the lower left below) had an experience of that in person connection. Have you?




















you may also wish to see

Music Road: Lovers' Well: Matt & Shannon Heaton

photographing music: connections

Delicious Baby's Photo Friday, where travelers offer new insights to the world each Friday

Shannon Heaton is one of the founders of the Boston Celtic Music Fesival, which is profiled in
Irish Music Festivals: a guide

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

3 Comments:

Blogger Anjuli said...

I love how I can often use your recommendations to get my pandora radio to come up with 'like sounding' tunes.

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never even thought about using internet radio - thanks for opening my eyes to that!

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Sheryl said...

I use the internet all the time - but never for radio. What a wonderful way to reach out across distance. Thanks for bringing it up!

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home