Friday, July 30, 2010

music and focus

cathie ryan copyright kerry dexter
Focusing on a song or a tune, whether you are the one playing and singing or the one doing the listening, is a way to relax, and to create. That may seem a contradiction, at first.

Whichever side of that circumstance you are on at any given time, though, it can be a doorway in to deep source of peace and refreshment.

nordic fiddles copyright Kerry Dexter
carrie newcomer at passim copyright kerry dexter







photographs from Glasgow, Scotland, and Cambridge, Massachusetts, copyright Kerry Dexter


Music to go along with these ideas

Music Road: national drum month: bodhran
Music Road: Scotland on the harp: Corrina Hewat
Music Road: Carrie Newcomer: Before & After

you may also wish to see

Delicious Baby's Photo Friday, where travelers offer new insights to the world each Friday
this week, be sure to check out the one with peanut butter and jelly included -- two things which also help with focus.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

6 Comments:

Anonymous jessiev said...

these photos make me happy! i can just hear the music...

9:50 AM  
Anonymous DeliciousBaby said...

Thanks so much for sharing!

10:39 AM  
Anonymous WanderMom said...

Aha! Someone else who knows what a bodhran is! We stopped by a traditional bodhran maker's shop in Ireland in April + picked up a full size one for our house. Because really, everyone should have one - and maybe a digeridoo too :)

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Jennifer Margulis said...

I agree. When I feel stressed out and I put on a song and really LISTEN to it, I find myself relaxing almost immediately. I think I need to remember that next time I'm tense!

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Dominique said...

I can see that. I've often thought the arts cross-pollinated each other...listening to some good music or taking a painting class when I might be stuck in a writing rut. It does sometimes help to focus on some other sort of creative activity in order to spark your own creativity.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Wanderluster said...

I totally agree about focusing on music as a way to relax. It's a great way to step back from our ADD world!

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home