Friday, July 22, 2011

Music and wisdom

Music is often a source of wisdom. That I think that way will be no surprise to you if you have been walking along this music road with me for any amount of time. Whether the idea is new to you or you’ve been reflecting on it yourself, I invite you to pause a moment now and consider it.

That is, in part, what wisdom requires: it may come as a flash of insight, at times, and those times are welcome. Still they require seeing things from new angles and pondering and working with the changes -- which leads to the contemplation from which wisdom often arises.

mountains of mourne northern ireland copyright kerry dexterEveryone who is an artist, who creates also has as part of his or her job the requirement of contemplation and reflection. Music, especially the sort of music of substance we talk about here along the music road, may be both a way into such insights and a companion in contemplation.

this photograph is of the mountains of Mourne in Northern Ireland, which are themselves a fine place for contemplation, and for music. the photograph is copyrighted, and I appreciate your respect for this.


music to go along with these ideas
Music Road: Mary Black: By the Time It Gets Dark
Music Road: cathie ryan: the farthest wave
Music Road: Best Music, 2010

you may also wish to see
Delicious Baby's Photo Friday, where travelers offer new insights to the world each Friday.

-->Your support for Music Road is welcome and needed. If you are able to chip in, here is a way to do that, through PayPal. Note that you do not have to have a PayPal account to do this. Thank you.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

4 Comments:

Anonymous Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart said...

Not having musical talent, I wonder if musicians struggle with the same worries and lack of mental space / time / energy to be creative. I believe that I'd be a completely different writer if the work wasn't so central to paying the bills. With the mindset that the only things that happen are things I make happen, that adds pressure and leaves less space for true reflection.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Kerry Dexter said...

Roxanne,
it's my experience, from my own work and from conversations I have had over the years, that musicians have that very same struggle, as do actors.

6:57 PM  
Anonymous sarah henry said...

i could use a little more contemplation and reflection in my personal and professional life. thanks for the reminder.

i always feel so calm after visiting your site, kerry.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Melanie Haiken said...

I love to print out song lyrics and put them on my fridge as a reminder of what's important to me. This photo and quote would work for that too!

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home