Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Celtic Kenya musical connection

Kenya, Boston, Ireland, Scotland -- there’s connection there, and a connection shown through music in the album Lullabies for Love. Many of the musicians you’ve met here along the music road, along with a few who may be new to you, have joined together to offer you a fine range of Celtic tinged lullabies, to benefit One Home Many Hopes in Kenya.

One Home Many Hopes is an orphanage, but not just another orphanage. It finds, rescues, houses, loves and educates orphaned and abandoned girls in Mtwapa, Kenya and goes beyond that. By the education and love shown them, and the challenges offered, it equips these young women to be agents of change in their community and build for the future, and the present.

lullabies for love celtic cd coverThe work of One Home Many Hopes and the spirit of the young women who live there caught the imagination of Lindsay O’Donovan, who wrote the song Lullabye for Love, and the recording project evolved from there.
Heidi Talbot and Cherish the Ladies contribute the gentle song Castle of Dromore, the Donegal based band Altan offer Dún do Shuil, a lullabye in Irish with a chorus and title whose words mean close your eyes, and award winning fiddle player and composer Liz Carroll offers A Day and an Age. Aoife Clancy adds The Gartan Mother’s Lullabye, while Hanneke Cassel, Ariel Friedman, and Shannon Heaton join O’ Donovan for the title song. Karan Casey, Keith Murphy, Dougie MacLean, Aoife O' Donovan, and Alasdair Fraser are just a few of the other artists who add their music. It’s a project that will bring hours of good listening to your life, and help the lives and hopes of others at the same time.

To hear a bit of the music from the recording, and to see how to purchase your own copy, follow this link Lullabies for Love


There’s a benefit concert celebrating the CD release on 15 May at Club Passim in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The concert is sold out, but wherever you are in the world, you will be able to join in the fun and the music by watching on line through Concert Window. It's set for 4.30 to 7.30 US Eastern Daylight time.


you may also wish to see
Hanneke Cassel: For Reasons Unseen
Shannon Heaton: The Blue Dress
Aoife Clancy: Silvery Moon

-->Your support for Music Road is welcome and needed. If you are able to chip in, here is a way to do that, through PayPal. Note that you do not have to have a PayPal account to do this. Thank you.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

11 Comments:

Blogger Anjuli said...

When I started reading I was curious to see what the connection was...and now I know! Amazing!! I do want to get this- as I know it would sound good but also it is good to support such a great project.

Thank you for highlighting this.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Anjuli said...

Wasn't sure if my last comment made it- wanted to say thanks for the link- I am definitely purchasing a few of these!! I heard the song samples and loved them...plus what a GREAT project to contribute to!!!

Thanks for the link!

9:34 AM  
Anonymous NoPotCooking said...

What a great project! Makes a nice shower gift I think

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Alexandra said...

What a great idea! I have family who will really enjoy hearing about this album. Too bad the concert is sold out as they live in Cambridge!

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart said...

I'm on deadline and still haven't had lunch, but I love this music. My niece's baby shower is this weekend, but I can always give it to her later. I might have to buy a copy for me too ... just because who doesn't need some soothing music in their life?

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Jane Boursaw said...

What a great, great program, and a wonderful way for people to help - support a great cause and listen to fine music. What could be better?

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Melanie @ Frugal Kiwi said...

With that line up, there is no losing. Big fan of Altan and CTL for years and I'm sure I'd love the others just as much.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Sheryl K said...

What a way to contribute to a great cause AND listen to some beautiful, calming music at the same time.

9:27 PM  
Blogger jcreaturetravel said...

Such a great cause! I'm so glad you included the link to this lovely music. And, I agree that this makes a great gift.

3:15 PM  
Blogger MyKidsEatSquid said...

That is a cool connection. I agree--what a great project. Plus, I love lullabies.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Donna Hull said...

What a great idea to help orphans in Kenya through the sale of Irish lullabies. I agree that this makes a wonderful baby shower present.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home