Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Remembering Woodstock, remembering Derry




Forty years go this month, it was Woodstock. What a long strange trip it’s been --

slide show with music and commentary from Joni Mitchell; and others, from the BBC

Life magazine’s photographer talks about
photographing at Woodstock, and the people he met there

Gallery of Photographs of Woodstock

I was not at Woodstock. But I have to say, the snippets of music with the BBC slideshow shot me straight back to those times, though most of it is music that I’ve rarely thought of since then. It was a different world -- and the same one. We carry the history forward within us. It changes with us, and we change with it.

Forty years ago this August, things were not so mellow in other parts of the world. South Africa, Viet Nam, Alabama... Northern Ireland. As peace and love were being celebrated in Woodstock, anger and fear filled the streets of Derry.
An Irish time line
and a song for those days.


you may also want to see

Remembering Woodstock (American Chronicles (History Press)

Music Road: Wilderness Plots: the dvd

Tommy Sands: Let the Circle Be Wide

-->If you'd like to support my creative work at Music Road and elsewhere,
here is a way to do that, through PayPal. Note that you do not have to have a PayPal account to do this.Thank you.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jennifer Margulis said...

I hate to sound too much like a curmudgeon but I'm kind of tired of hearing about Woodstock. Maybe I'm not old enough to appreciate it but it seems like the media world has been revolving around Woodstock lately. Let's move forward in time, not backwards...

7:27 PM  
Blogger Kerry Dexter said...

Jennifer,
actually, it was one of those over the top articles that caused me to decide to write this one. there were other things going on then -- and now. thanks for your comment

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Vera Marie Badertscher said...

Like Jennifer, I grow weary of the hints of yearning to return to some idyllic past. But I don't think the remembering of Woodstock has to be all nostalgia for times past. I think it is a learning experience, and we have to remember that the world is full of people who weren't yet born and don't have any idea what that history means to our country.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Kerry Dexter said...

Vera,
I'd be surprised if hints of yearning to return to an idyllic past was what you got from reading my post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Donna Hull said...

Woodstock was during my era and yet I don't relate to it now and I didn't relate to it then. To listen to the media, you'd think that was the only music played while everyone wore tye-died shirts and bushy, frizzy hair. Woodstock was only one small piece of those years. Other music existed as did other ideas and philosophies.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home