Friday, November 05, 2010

music and change

kathy mattea belcourt copyright kerry dexyer
big pond crb copyright kerry dexter
transatlantic sessions 4 copyright kerry dexter
Have you ever walked into a room where you knew your life was going to be changed by the time you came out?

That was a question I came across whilst reading a letter from a motivational speaker promoting an event. My thought was, that’s what I expect each time I go to see live music. It is not always what I am focused on , but for me that's part of what I am open to.

It might be a gig by an old friend, or perhaps someone new to me, or maybe someone I’ve heard on record but not seen live. There is something about being present when an artist is making music on the spot, though, that invites that -- with the sort of artists I introduce you to here along the music road, anyway.

What do you think?

these photographs were taken in Nashville, Cape Breton, and Glasgow

you may also wish to see

about listening.
Music Road: Another Fine Winter's Night: Matt & Shannon Heaton

and Delicious Baby's Photo Friday, where travelers offer new insights to the world each Friday

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Kerry Dexter at

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anna Moffat said...

I absolutely agree, Kerry. Unfortunately I don't see nearly enough live music but enjoy reading about your experiences on your blog. I also feel that way when I start a book and I know straight away I'm going to love it. The power of art, eh?!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Kerry Dexter said...

Anna,
Indeed. I've not been able to see as much live music lately as I'd like, but working on changing that. So many different ways art will open doors, if we but allow it to. Thanks for reading and commenting.

7:54 AM  
Anonymous wandering educators said...

you're right, and it is especially true about music. there's something about live music, by incredibly talented people, that changes you. brilliant photos, thoughtful post! thank you!

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Melanie Haiken said...

When I was young, I had a lot of life-changing moments at concerts, but in recent years the experiences have felt tamer and more confined. I want to get that feeling back! I wish my area had better live music venues that allowed more interaction with others.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Wanderluster said...

I agree but it seems I'm having a harder and harder time finding these life-altering performances. Maybe I'm just not getting out enough :-)

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home